10 Oct Traditional Battered Cod with Hand Cut French Fries
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 2-3oz golden harvest battered cod
- 5 large Russet potatoes, peeled or well scrubbed, if leaving leaving the skin on
- 1 quart peanut oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- 2 tblsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup mayonaise
- 2 tblsp minced dill pickle
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 tsp miced garlic clove
- 1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick fries. Put the fries in a large bowl of cold water and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed medium stockpot over medium heat, or in a tabletop deep fryer, to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
- Drain the fries well and pat dry in batches with paper towels. Fry each batch, turning frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the fries are a pale blond color and limp. Remove with a mesh skimmer to the baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Increase heat of the oil to 350 F
- Fry the cod for 5 ½ to 6 ½ minutes then remove and place on a wire rack
- Increase the heat of the oil to 375° F.
- Fry the potatoes again, in batches, turning frequently, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with the skimmer and drain on clean paper towels. Season immediately with salt and serve hot.
- Arrange on platter or basket with tartar sauce and lemon then garnish with parsley.