15 Sep Boost Your Immune System with Seafood
Having a strong immune system is an absolute necessity, today more than ever.
Seafood is a nutrient-rich source of protein that isn’t just low in calories and saturated fats, but also rich in vitamins and minerals that boost immunity.
The following 5 nutrients give seafood its immunity-boosting property:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 fatty acids EPA + DHA play vital roles in helping the immune system function properly, by enhancing the functioning of immune cells. Not only do they reduce inflammation, but studies have also suggested that DHA-rich fish oil enhances the activity of white blood cells known as B-cell. High levels are found in herring, oysters, and mackerel.
- Proteins: Proteins are commonly known as the building blocks of the human body. They help the immune system by aiding the body in healing and recovery. Seafood contains a high-quality protein that comprises all of the amino acids necessary for human health, making it a complete source of protein. Lean fish like trout, flounder, farmed catfish, and tilapia have higher protein contents than some of the other fish on the market.
- Vitamin A: Also called the anti-inflammation vitamin, it helps protect against infection by keeping the tissues in the respiratory system healthy. Although it is found in almost all kinds of seafood, it is abundant in oily fish like cod, tuna, and salmon.
- Vitamin B: Vitamin B, such as B6 and B12, is crucial for the well-being of the immune system. These vitamins regulate inflammation while promoting red and white blood cell development which, in turn, ensures that the body gets a steady supply of oxygen required to fight the disease. Shellfish like mussels, oysters, and scallops are great sources of Vitamin B.
- Vitamin D: This vitamin plays an integral part in triggering the innate antimicrobial response of the immune system as well as in regulating the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. Sardines, salmon, herring, and tuna are great sources of Vitamin D.
Seafood is also a great natural source of minerals that boost immunity—like phosphorus, magnesium, iodine, selenium, and zinc.
Contact us today if you’re interested in learning more!