07 Oct Shrimp Gumbo
Posted at 20:36h in Chef's Corner
Total Time: Prep: 30 min; Cook: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 can (6oz) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 4 ea bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and grease until caramel-colored, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir until tender, for 5-6 minutes. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne, herbs and Bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until shrimp turn pink, 10 minutes. Stir in file powder.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with rice.